Prutscher / Powolny
It is for sure, that this fireplace with flower crowns is the mental work of Otto Prutscher or Michael Powolny. Probably it is actually a joint project of these two artist friends. The fireplace was created about 1905, it was made in the Wienerberger Atelier School for ceramics.
About the artists:
* 07.04.1880 Vienna
+ 15.02.1949 Vienna
Trained as an architect and craftsmen at the College of Wood Industry and School of Applied Arts in Vienna, teached by Hoffmann and others. Working as teacher at the Graphic Arts Research Institute and at the School of Applied Arts since 1910. Then as special inspector of educationtraining in Vienna. His strictly geometric glasses are among the finest works of the Wiener Werkstätte. Between the wars involved into the Gemeindebauprogramm of the City of Vienna. Participation in all major exhibitions of the Wiener Werkstätte. Member of the Austrian and German Werkbund, the Künstlerhaus and the Central Association of Austrian Architects.
* 18.09.1871 Judenburg/Steiermark
+ 04.01.1954 Vienna
The ceramic works of Powolny have become a trademark of the Wiener Werkstätte. After a Hafner teaching degree at the College Znaim and at the School of Applied Arts in Vienna from 1894 to 1906, teached by Metzger and others. With Loeffler he founded the Viennese Ceramics in 1906, whose products were distributed by the Wiener Werkstätte. The two artists have been got to be the protagonists of the “playful” Viennese ceramic style of elegance. Besides “lattice works” in the typical black and white of the Wiener Werkstätte richly colored figurative creations. Participation in all eminent exhibitions of the Wiener Werkstätte. Member of the Austrian and German Werkbund. 1909 Michael Powolny built on a special course for ceramics at the School of Art, where he had a teaching position until 1936.
(Source Biographies: “Wiener Werkstätte 1903-1932”, Gabriele Fahr-Becker, Taschen-Verlag)
- Künstler/in: Otto Prutscher & Michael Powolny
- Entstehung: about 1905
- Angebotsstatus: SOLD